Thursday, January 7, 2010

Resolutions?!? Shmesolutions!

But. I will say that due to some thoughts and realizations of late, I have decided (coincidentally at the turn of the year) to only purchase groceries that come in no packaging, or recyclable packaging. There are so many options nowadays that I just flat refuse to throw one more thing in the trash. Because I am a very visual person and can see my backyard piling up with teabags, Trader Joe's Moochi packages, the seemingly innocuous plastic wrappers inside the recyclable cardboard... I'm DONE!


I'll use what is in my cupboard, but from now on I'm gonna be that crazy lady you see in the bulk food aisle, wearing the fashionably co-ordinated and colorful clothing, bringing her own bags to pick out fruits and veggies, the glass container that has been weighed at the checkout stand beforehand so the cashier can subtract the weight from the price of the goodies inside... remember in all the westerns how people had boxes to put all their sundries in? How nobody, once proudly astride their steeds, ever just rode around tossing fast-food containers and candy bar wrappers in the streets? Well. Call me .... whatever. Maybe it's living on the farm. Maybe it's the roommates' constant drivel about composting (howabout you EAT what you COOK) and who is going to take the bucket down to the composter by the barn. Maybe it's having vegetarian horses. Maybe it's becoming more aware of living a simpler life. Maybe it's my watching the old episodes of Kung Fu (and writing a book of the great quotes therein).

Whatever it is, honeys, it has got me.

7 comments:

  1. It seems to have got you good. Good luck with it - it's a noble intention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's surprisingly easy to do once it becomes habitual, but we all have to start somewhere.

    We simply cannot have any respect for ourselves or for life itself when we continue to make such a mess of our planet.

    Everyone should follow your example. We owe it to ourselves and even more, to those who come after us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm trying to do something similar - eat healthy, local, non-processed foods. All the time, so that it becomes ingrained. Finding local veggies in January can be a bit challenging, so I find myself straying a bit, but I'm cooking again. And eating better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I certainly wish you luck because I am too lazy. I'll admit it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mwa - thanks, I'll need it - just yesterday I bought my favorite Dr Oetker's cookie mix, forgetting that the bag inside is not recyclable. Oops number one.

    Heart - mess indeed. one reason I got out of marine biology in college was finding out that whales (some more than others) ingest our toxins, then pass it along in their milk so that each generation of whale is being doubly polluted, and we can calculate when they will become extinct. They are living ghosts. But you are right. we have to start somewhere.

    Camlin - I hear ya! the farmers markets are great most of the year, but what are we supposed to do when they close for winter? I know SOMETHING has to grow. Or be put in jars? Like Ms Moon...

    2G- believe me, I'm all for simplicity. the hard part is finding and choosing. even if it's not organic (there, I said it!) -my own laziness is what compels me to do this, I hate taking out stinky trash!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a long time reader.
    You inspire me.

    ReplyDelete