Wednesday, October 21, 2009

What is it?!?

While having a big education about multi-culturalism during my time at a non-profit, there were so many things to appreciate and enjoy about people we hardly get to see in our institutionalised society. So much so that I have fantasies of going to places like India, Japan, Morocco...












But why is there always a flip side? Don't go there, you'll get AIDS... or there, you'll be kidnapped and sold into the slave market. Oh, they don't view women fairly there, oh and there, they hate that you don't speak their language so everyone is rude. Then there are the conditions in which the inhabitants live. Where poverty makes OUR poverty look not so poor. Where people are maimed by their own governments, or killed, through either crooked/unjust means, or sometimes sanctioned. Why, why, why?!? Does it have to be that way.




















My shameful optimism just wants to take all the vivid colors, all the beautiful rituals, all the good things that people of means in those countries enjoy... I think even if I had the chance I'm not sure I could visit all the places of my fantasies, for fear of inadvertently supporting nasty regimes. And so I continue living in the sky. Always looking at the beautiful places from afar.












3 comments:

  1. I'm travelling in my mind too much as well. At some point, we shall have to be braver.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is unexpected but not surprising from you.

    You are really something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've a list of places, too. And some of them may not be typical tourist destinations. I've heard so much about them from the women I've connected with in esl that I feel like I must go, someday.

    ReplyDelete