Thursday, July 23, 2009

All Along the Watchtower

Well, honeys, I have a friend who has been stricken, by the unfathomable power and hold of an authority that few others can match... unless we are talking about other cults as well as the JW's.

Poor thing, she has already been suffering in the throes of major chronic depression for the years that I've known her, and according to her husband it's been much longer than that, but now how does she escape the hell she calls faith, when her very salvation will be dependent upon her not using the internet, not celebrating her children's birthdays, and witnessing to everyone - lest she not find favor in the eyes of her church, whom she can't see has replaced her God.

Well, there is a positive side. I've moved, and soon the Post Office will stop forwarding me her huge envelopes of tracts. I can't call her to ask not to send them anymore, she gave away her cell phone. I can't email her anymore, covered that part... but for the time being, I have plenty of newsprint to rip up into shreds for kitty litter (recycling tip #45, can still burn or recycle after kitty uses it, and it's much cleaner and more sanitary for the house), but not before I read a couple of exerpts from the back pages...

One in particular, I ask J as we are driving the half-hour home from town, "What evidence is there that Jesus is a historical figure?" To which, without even blinking, he replies: "They have one of his pubic hairs stored at the Vatican."

It took me five minutes before I could start breathing again.



And here is Cat, lookin cute, another daily event.

2 comments:

  1. Laura, I love you
    I love your posts and your words and your spirit, but mostly I love your endings. You really know how to end it.

    I had nine comments on that Poor House post and yours was the last....and best. You know what you're doing.

    I'm tied up with elation for our friendship

    D

    ReplyDelete